Your VT Username is a unique identifier. It belongs to you and you only. Your VT Username and passphrase grant you access to Hokie SPA, Canvas, OneCampus, Office365, Google Suite, and more.
Important: Remember that you may use your VTUsername@vt.edu email address for job offers or other official communications, so selecting inappropriate or silly words or phrases for your VT Username may not be desirable.
How to Create a VT Username as a New Student, Faculty, Staff, or Alum
- Read and understand VT Username: Information and Requirements.
- Know your 9-digit Virginia Tech ID number. This information is normally required to create your VT Username.
- Think of a username, 3 to 16 characters, starting with a letter.
- Think of a passphrase. For more information on passphrase requirements, see Changes to Password Requirements.
- Be prepared to enroll in 2-factor authentication. You’ll need a second factor device such as a landline, mobile/smart phone, or tablet. For more information and instructions on 2-factor, see the University 2-Factor Authentication Web site.
- Go the Virginia Tech onboarding Web page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Set up passphrase recovery options in My Accounts which will require that you login with your VT Username to enroll in 2-factor authentication.
If you have trouble with any of the steps in this process or need additional assistance, submit an incident by asking a question as a guest at http://4help.vt.edu, or call 4Help at (540) 231-4357.
Search words: PID, gen, generate, pidgen, onboard, on board, on-board, make, obtain, get, username, student ID, faculty staff ID