This site requires JavaScript to be enabled
Last modified 2 months ago


How do I request delegated Organizational Unit (OU) administrator privileges for myself using the Hokies domain?


For information about functions delegated to OU administrators, refer to the Windows Domain FAQ Web page.

  1. Move yourself into the OU of which you want to be an administrator.

    1. In Firefox or Internet Explorer, go to the ADadmin Web site.

    2. If prompted, log on with your Hokies ID (which is the same as your VT Username) and Hokies ID (Exchange) password.
      (If you have forgotten your password, follow the instructions at Change or Reset Hokies Password via Account Manager.)

    3. If you have previously enrolled in 2-factor authentication, follow the on-screen instructions to complete authentication with your second factor.
      (For more information and instructions on 2-factor, see the University 2-Factor Authentication Web site.)

    4. To expand the menu, in the left pane, click the OUs link.

      Click the OUs link.

    5. In the left pane, click the Move To OU link.

      Click the Move To OU link.

    6. In the left pane, under Select the OU you want to move to:, under vt, select the OU for which you want to request delegated administrator privileges. Some OUs are restricted from additions or subtractions. You cannot add yourself to a restricted OU or move yourself out of a restricted OU. In such cases, contact the OU administrator for the OU you want to join.

    7. Click the Move To OU button.

      Select the OU you want to move to.

  2. To be added to the Auth Database, submit an incident to 4Help at

Requesting to be made an administrator of a Hokies OU does not automatically cause a Central Services OU to be created for that person's department. Usually the two requests which can be made at the same time are processed as individual requests.