Canvas - Getting Started for Students
Table of Contents
Canvas is Virginia Tech's new learning management system (LMS). Below are some questions and answers about Canvas that might help students just getting started. Additional answers to common student questions can be found in the Canvas Student Guide.
I heard Virginia Tech is "ramping up" Canvas. What does that mean for me?
How do I log in to Canvas?
Log in to Canvas using your VT PID and password.
(If you forgot your password, follow the instructions at Forgot PID Password.)
If you are unable to log in and are registered as a student, please report an incident to 4Help by using 4Help Self Service.
How do I find and view my Canvas courses?
For you to see a course site, you must be officially registered, and your instructor must have published the course site.
Log in to Canvas and click on Courses in the global navigation menu on the left of the screen. The courses menu will fly out with a list of your course sites.
Can I use Canvas on my mobile device? How?
You can view your Canvas sites on your iOS and Android devices, but be aware of the following limitations:
- We do not advise submitting Canvas assignments, including quizzes, using your mobile device, because Canvas does not track submissions made on mobile devices. So, if something goes wrong, there will be no proof of your work.
- Canvas will allow you to access courses with easy login. Keep your account secure by only using the Canvas mobile app on your devices, and not shared devices.
- Not all Canvas features are supported by the mobile app at this time.
To view course content on your mobile device, download the Canvas by Instructure app.
- For your Android device, go to the Google Play store.
- For your iOS device, go to the iTunes store.
The Canvas app will ask you for the name of your institution. Look for Virginia Tech and download the app.
How do I adjust my notification preferences?
Canvas automatically notifies you about changes in your course site, such as when your instructor sends an announcement or adds an assignment, by sending an email to your VT Gmail address.
- To set what triggers a notification and how often you are notified, see How do I set my Notification Preferences?
- To add notifications via text message, see How do I add text (SMS) contact method in Canvas?
- To add add an additional email address, see How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas?
Notification settings apply to all of your courses; you cannot change notification settings for individual course sites.
How do I change my profile information in Canvas?
How do I connect to web services/tools outside of Canvas?
Canvas is integrated with a number of third-party web services. Most of these services can be configured on the Settings page. See How do I change my User Settings?
Other services include: Google Docs, Google Drive, Skype, LinkedIn, Twitter, Delicious, and Diigo. Click on any of these services in Canvas to register.
How do I get help using Canvas?
What browsers are compatible with Canvas?