Where can I find more information on VT Office 365 or SharePoint? What is VT Office 365 or SharePoint?
VT Office 365 is a suite of online, cloud-based collaborative solutions from Microsoft available to Virginia Tech faculty and staff that includes:
- Office Online: browser-based versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. To log on to Office Online, see step 3 at Office Online.
- OneDrive for Business: 1 terabyte (TB) of online storage and synchronization of files and folders between VT Office 365 applications and connected devices. To log on to OneDrive for business, see step 3 at OneDrive for Business.
- SharePoint Online: collaboration and project management tool for creating a SharePoint Web site, complex workflow system, data exchange with an on-premise SQL database, wiki, blog, document management, or intranet service. To log on to SharePoint Online see step 3 at SharePoint Online. There are two types of SharePoint Online accounts:
- Individual: Licensed users have access to “MySite,” which includes 50 MB of storage (in addition to the 1 TB of OneDrive storage). This private, cloud-based storage can be used to manage SharePoint Online profiles; build websites, blogs and wikis; and link to OneDrive resources. Default templates are available to support quick setups and custom templates may be designed for unique applications.
- Departmental: Departments receive an initial 1 TB of storage. If the initial amount is consumed, an additional 1 TB can be obtained. Beyond that, additional space can be purchased at a low yearly cost.
- Skype for Business / Lync Online: Connect to a conference quickly or setup and host online meetings with multiparty HD video conferencing, real-time note-taking and screen sharing. To log on to Lync Online, see step 3 at Lync Online.
These cloud-based applications run on and save your data to servers outside Virginia Tech rather than your computer and can be accessed from most devices that are connected to the Internet.
For more information, including available products, support documentation, and troubleshooting tips see the VT Office 365 page. Information about additional VT Office 365 services will be posted to that page in the coming months.