Bulk Add Members to VT Google Groups
Currently Google Groups will not allow owners of a Google Group to direct add more than a limited number of members / subscribers at a time. While we are developing an easy-to-use permanent solution to allow a large number of members to be added (often referred to as "bulk adding"), currently you can upload a specifically formatted file to a dedicated Network-Attached Storage (NAS) assigned to you after submitting a request to http://4help.vt.edu. To do this:
- Submit an incident to 4Help by "asking a question" at http://4help.vt.edu requesting access to the Bulk Add beta for Google Groups.
- Include in the incident your exact Google Group name and Hokies ID (which is the same as your PID), and state you want to use the bulk add tool with your Google Group.
- You will receive an email from the 4Help incident stating that your Hokies ID has been given access to a NAS located at: \\storage.vt.edu\GGbulkadd\<yourhokiesid>.
- In File Explorer or Finder, connect to the networked or shared drive at: \\storage.vt.edu\GGbulkadd\<yourhokiesid> by referencing the instructions at Accessing Your Virginia Tech Network-Attached Storage (NAS) in Mac OS or Windows, but use the \\storage.vt.edu\GGbulkadd\<yourhokiesid> URL instead of the URL on the linked page.
Make sure to use backslashes ( \ ) in the location.
- Once connected to the shared drive folder, inside the folder named <yourhokiesid> will be folder(s) with the name of your Google Group.
- Create a file containing the complete list of members (not owners) you want to be in the Google Group.
- Save the file to your computer with the name: <groupname>.member.txt
- Example: mylist-g.member.txt
- Close the file.
- In File Explorer or Finder, drag the <groupname>.member.txt file to the folder with the name of your Google Group that is under the <yourhokiesid> folder on the shared NAS drive.
- Similarly create a separate file called <groupname>.owner.txt containing a list of people that you want to be owners of the Google Group.
- Close the file.
- In File Explorer or Finder, drag the <groupname>.owner.txt to the folder with the name of your Google Group that is under the <yourhokiesid> folder on the shared NAS drive.
- A process will run automatically and at least each day to check if files with those names exist in the <yourhokiesid> folder. If the file is found, the existing members and owners of the group will be replaced by the members and owners in the submitted file. After processing, the files will be deleted from the shared NAS drive.
Note: The temporary options will be available until an interface in Google Groups is developed and deployed that allows Google Group owners to manage large membership changes ("bulk add"). This solution will be in place by April, 2016 so lists that require "bulk adds" will be moved to Google Groups in time for the system to be decommissioned on July 1, 2016. We will support this interim solution at least until the decommissioning of Listserv on July 1, 2016.
Note: To obtain a member list from Banner, "student lists", have your departmental Banner Representative submit a request for the list by doing the following:
- Go to the Enterprise Systems Service Catalog page.
- Click the Academic Services heading.
- Click the Academic Analysis & Reporting link.
- Click the Request Support button.
- If prompted, type your PID and PID password.
- In the Username text box, type your PID, which is the first part of your @vt.edu email address. (If you do not know your PID, follow the instructions at Forgot PID.)
- In the Password text box, type your PID password. (If you forgot your password, follow the instructions at Forgot PID Password.)
- Click the Login button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to either:
- Complete and submit the Web form.
The reports will be sent to you. Once you receive the report, copy ONLY the email addresses into the text file (.txt) with a text editor program such as Notepad. Each email address has to be on a separate line and look like: