Installing Microsoft Office for Students
This software must be purchased before a license and download is made available. To order student software, please visit How to Purchase: Student and place an online order. Please note, it may take up to 30 minutes from the time your order is processed until your Microsoft Office license is available.
- Go to the Virginia Tech Microsoft Office portal and if prompted, type your Virginia Tech email address in the Email, phone or Skype text box and then click Next. You will then be redirected to a Virginia Tech sign in page.
Note: If you are asked whether this is a "Work or School Account" or a "Personal Account", click Work or School Account to continue
- Log in with your Virginia Tech email address and password.
Note: If you need to reset your password, follow the instructions in the Reset VT Username (PID) Passphrase section on Changing or Resetting My Password.
- Once you have logged in, click Install Office on the upper-right of the page and click Office 365 apps as shown below.
Attention: If you do not see the option for Office 365 apps in the Install Office drop-down, please sign out of that web page and wait 30 minutes before signing in and attempting the installation again.
- The Microsoft Office installer should start downloading automatically. If prompted, click Save.
- When the download in complete, locate the downloaded file and double-click it to run the installer, and follow any onscreen prompts.
- When the installation is complete, you will need to sign in to the Office applications in order to activate them.
- macOS: You will be prompted to do this the first time you start an Office application.
- Windows: You will need to start any of the Office applications and click Sign in to get the most out of Office in the upper-right of the window.
- In the sign in window, type your Virginia Tech email address as your username and click Sign In. You will then be taken to the Virginia Tech Microsoft portal where you will sign in using your password and 2 factor authentication method.
Note: If you are asked whether this is a Work or School Account or a Personal Account, click Work or School Account to continue
Top of page
Windows Install Instructional Video
macOS Install Instructional Video
Top of page